What insecticide kills fire ants?
Broadcast Insecticide Treatments
|Insecticide||Brand Name (example)|
|Treatments applied as granules|
|bifenthrin (0.2% granules)||Ortho Max Fire Ant Killer Granules|
|gamma-cyhalothrin (0.05% granules)||Triazicide Soil & Turf Insect Killer Granules|
|permethrin (0.5% granules)||Hi-Yield Kill A Bug II Lawn Granules|
How do you get rid of a fire ant infestation?
Eliminate a Fire Ant Infestation
- Diatomaceous Earth: This method uses small crystals to scratch the ants outer-shell, causing them to lose moisture and die from dehydration.
- Boiling hot water: People swear by this method of drenching a fire ant mound with a few gallons of boiling water.
Does Terro work on fire ants?
When applied directly onto the ant mound, it will kill fire ants on contact and provide long-lasting protection for up to 8 months! TERRO Fire Ant Killer is waterproof and odor-free so it can be used outdoors wherever fire ants are present.
How do I get rid of fire ants in my yard naturally?
Pouring boiling or soapy water over mounds Pouring about three gallons of extremely hot water on a single fire ant mound eliminates the mound about 60 percent of the time. Drenching mounds with a similar amount of hot soapy water is about 60 to 70 percent effective.
How do you treat fire ant mounds?
- For normal mounds: Sprinkle 2 to 5 level tablespoons of Amdro Fire Ant Bait in a circle around each mound.
- For large infested areas: Use a hand-held granular spreader, and broadcast Amdro Fire Ant Bait at a rate of 2 to 4 ounces per 5,000 square feet or 1 to 2 pounds per acre.
- Repeat applications, as needed.
What do fire ants hate?
Vinegar Solution Mix equal parts vinegar, baking soda and water and pour the mixture into the ant colony or spray it in high-ant-traffic areas. The strong scent of vinegar will repel the ants, but you may have to smell the vinegar for a short period of time.
Do ant traps work on fire ants?
How to Get Rid of Fire Ants Outdoors with Baiting. Fire ant baits are a granular insecticide, an insect growth regulator, or a combination of both. The insecticide kills the pests immediately and the insect growth regulator acts as a birth control for the fire ant colony.
What keeps fire ants away?
Mix equal parts vinegar, baking soda and water and pour the mixture into the ant colony or spray it in high-ant-traffic areas. The strong scent of vinegar will repel the ants, but you may have to smell the vinegar for a short period of time.