What are the characteristics of skeletal muscle fibers?
Similar to cardiac muscle, however, skeletal muscle is striated; its long, thin, multinucleated fibres are crossed with a regular pattern of fine red and white lines, giving the muscle a distinctive appearance. Skeletal muscle fibres are bound together by connective tissue and communicate with nerves and blood vessels.
What are 5 characteristics of skeletal muscle?
All muscle cells share several properties: contractility, excitability, extensibility, and elasticity:
- Contractility is the ability of muscle cells to forcefully shorten.
- Excitability is the ability to respond to a stimulus, which may be delivered from a motor neuron or a hormone.
What are the 4 major functional characteristics of muscle tissue?
What are the four major functional characteristics of muscle tissue? Contractility, excitability, extensibility, and elasticity.
What are characteristic of skeleton?
The skeleton consists of both fused and individual bones supported and supplemented by ligaments, tendons, muscles and cartilage. It serves as a scaffold which supports organs, anchors muscles, and protects organs such as the brain, lungs, heart and spinal cord.
What are the 4 types of muscle tissue?
Different types of muscle
- Skeletal muscle – the specialised tissue that is attached to bones and allows movement.
- Smooth muscle – located in various internal structures including the digestive tract, uterus and blood vessels such as arteries.
- Cardiac muscle – the muscle specific to the heart.
What are 4 characteristics of muscle?
All muscle tissues have 4 characteristics in common:
- extensibility – they can be stretched.
- elasticity – they return to normal length after stretching.
What are characteristics of a single skeletal muscle fiber quizlet?
Excitability: is equated with responsiveness. Contractility: causes fiber to shorten resulting in either a pull on bones or movement of body parts. Elasticity: muscles ability to return to its original length. Extensibility: capability of extending in length in response to contracting of opposing muscle fibers.
What are three characteristics of cardiac muscle quizlet?
HISTOLOGY: Cardiac Muscle Tissue
- Single nucleus per cell.
- Branched (intercalated disks)
- Cross striations (sarcomeres)
- Rhythmic contractions to pump blood.
- Involuntary movement.
What are the functions of skeletal muscle fibers?
Muscle fibers consist of a single muscle cell. They help to control the physical forces within the body. When grouped together, they can facilitate organized movement of your limbs and tissues.