What questions should you ask the oncologist?
10 Questions to Ask the Medical Oncologist
- Why are you recommending this therapy?
- What are the risks and side effects?
- Are there other ways to treat the cancer?
- Where do I go for chemotherapy or hormone therapy?
- Will I be able to drive myself home after treatment, or do I need help?
- How long does the treatment last?
What are the do’s and don’ts during chemotherapy?
Take care not to get infections for up to one year or more after your chemotherapy. Practice safe eating and drinking during cancer treatment. DO NOT eat or drink anything that may be undercooked or spoiled. Make sure your water is safe.
What questions should I ask my doctor after chemotherapy?
Questions to Ask Your Doctor When You Have Finished Treatment
- How long will it take for me to get better and feel more like myself?
- What kind of care should I expect after my treatment?
- What long-term health issues can I expect as a result of my cancer and its treatment?
- What is the chance that my cancer will return?
What should you avoid during chemotherapy?
Foods to avoid (especially for patients during and after chemo):
- Hot, spicy foods (i.e. hot pepper, curry, Cajun spice mix).
- High fiber foods (i.e. raw fruit and vegetables, coarse whole grains).
- Fatty, greasy, or fried foods.
- Rich desserts.
- Nuts, seeds, or dried fruit.
What questions should I ask before starting chemo?
Questions to Ask About Chemotherapy
- Which chemo drugs will I be given?
- How will the drugs be given to me?
- How often will I need to get chemo?
- How long will my treatments last?
- Where will I get chemo?
- What’s the goal of chemo for my cancer?
- What are the chances that the chemo will work?
What happens at your first chemo appt?
When you arrive, you’ll need to provide a blood sample that helps determine your dose of chemotherapy and any other needed medicines. You can also expect to have your height and weight measured more than once, because this is another key factor in making sure you get the right chemo dose.
How do I prepare my home for chemo?
Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, keep hand sanitizer available, and have guests remove their shoes before entering your home. Keep household surfaces clean, and take caution in food preparation and cooking. If a family member does become ill, avoid close contact until they get better.
What are the best questions to ask a patient?
How soon can you tell if the chemotherapy is working?
Complete response. This means that there’s no detectable cancer left in your body.
What to expect when having chemotherapy?
blood tests to check how well your kidneys and liver are working and the number of blood cells. x-rays and scans to check that you are fit for treatment and see how the tumour is responding to treatment. For some chemotherapy drugs you may also have: heart monitoring tests to see if the drugs are affecting your heart.
What do you need to know about chemotherapy?
– Avoid people with colds or other infections. Chemotherapy weakens your body’s immune system. Your immune system helps fight infections. – Drink lots of fluids for 48 hours after chemotherapy. This helps move the drugs through your body. – Whether there are activities to do or avoid doing on future treatment days.